Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tout sont en désordre!

Bébé and I work well together to weigh and treat the babies who come in for rehab and follow-up, but we sorely need more staff to help when say we get a pair of twins, a severe case, someone needing a weekly flour ration, and 50+ mothers with healthy babies to weigh as a check-up. Plus, everyone from the hospital comes to drink from the jar we work to keep clean and filled with treated water. I know we should share, but then why can’t they come work? Later I was écartée’d by the Sage Femme who gave everyone SIDA T-shirts except for me. And even when I asked for one, when a nurse told me there was one for me as there were for all the staff of the Maternity, the Sage Femme called the nurse a liar and refused. Bébé fought my case saying I do more work here than most staff! I got my T-shirt. Later, the Sage Femme came over to the Nutrition office to use our scissors. I asked slyly, "So isn't Nutrition a part of the Maternity?" She just laughs...but really, all this divisiveness kills me. Why must it be General Medicine V. Maternity V. Nutrition V. Doctors V. Nurses V. Pharmacy V. Workers etc etc. I fault the head doctor--he'd rather pit staff against each other to his benefit than have this hospital work for the good of the community. I am curious as to how the Gao CSREF is run. Though at any level there is confusion: We received a case to follow-up on after the child had received treatment at the Gao Hospital. The name on the Reference Card was Soumeila (a boy's name) instead of Soumeya (a girl's name), they didn't send the history of treatment, nor did they correctly take the height. Well, at any rate I don't think a child can grow 3 cm in a week's time... It was a case of brutal weaning. The mother got pregnant when Soumeya was only 7 months old. Bébé turns to me and says, "Tout sont en désordre!" Chaos!

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.