Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Comfortable?

Went on a site-development visit with PC to see if we can put a volunteer there this fall. It is a beautiful village situated up above the river a bit. Sandy, so a bike will be useless, but the Chef at the CSCOM is a motivated woman. It was her conduct during the nutrition training in January that convinced me we should put a volunteer with her. The ASACO president, who manages the people who run the finances of the CSCOM, may prove to be difficult; but, was impressed that I whipped out the proverb “a stick thrown in the water won’t become a crocodile” when explaining in Songhoy how to treat the future volunteer. I feel that though I help on missions like this, I also cause problems because I am white—the host family said they’d be expecting help if they were going to host the PCV. But the Chef at the CSCOM and the matron who worked with me during her schooling at the hospital reassured me they would protect the PCV from the village ☺

I went all the way to Gao with the PC to visit Bébé and Pedro at the hospital. He is finally getting treatment that he needs. But the stroke has rendered his left side paralyzed and him speechless.

While watching the Liverpool v. Chelsea game, I chatted with a friend about how I’ve changed since coming to Mali. I feel like my faith has grown. I appreciate things more. I see the world differently. I enjoy being around kids—or least have established patience sturdy enough for any child no matter how annoying or how sick he/she is. This patience also means I can stand Malian transport. I take more time for people here. He asked particularly about how I thought my faith changed. It has grown because Muslims ask me difficult questions more often. When surrounded by people who agreed with you it is too easy to become comfortable.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.