Monday, April 21, 2008

Men. Ugh.

If Peace Corps has taught me anything, it is not to generalize. MOST Malian men I can’t stand. SOME however are my good friends. And I have learned to deal with harassment by joking right back. The pharmacist (I have two nasty ear infections) was hitting on me saying we should talk. As I was standing in front of the pharmacy, a young road worker grabbed my arm and so I yelled after him “He! Wo manna boori!” The men sitting around actually agreed with me that this sort of conduct is unacceptable. The Pharmacist goes, yes, you see I didn’t even shake your hand. But then when goes to give me my change, it was short 40F. “Won’t you come back for it?” Ha. Abada! At the hospital I was working on the chart of systematic treatments amidst "Competent" (radio animator) singing love songs to me and the Chef asking if I’d go to the alfaga so I can marry a koyraboro. "Or is it that you don’t like black people?" Gah. The sarcastic “Yes, I’m so racist I decided to work in Africa for three years” is usually lost on them—but I did get a good laugh outta me slyly implying I have a koyraboro I like. The Chef goes, “Well yeah, you already tie a musor on your head.” To which I respond, “Ay si tuubi wullah!” But I won’t be converting!

Dijo actually came to help with baby weighing this morning. No new malnourished cases (I know they exist they just don’t come to the hospital). I burned my beans for dinner and was frustrated the Sudafed and other components of my drug cocktail kept me awake.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.