Friday, April 11, 2008

Gift from the American People

...Not to be traded or sold. Then why do I see the USAID oil in the market? And the PAM-donated corn-soy blended flour? Gah. 

I got many a comment on my “American” outfit today: SIDA shirt tucked into jeans to show off my cowries’ shell belt from Ghana and hair slicked back into a bun. I am amused now matter how I dress-up people are pleased. It’s all about looking put-together here.

I was so excited when I went out to the village of Djéfilani to find the petit poids case, I met the family coming into town on a donkey cart. I too can play health-relay!

I enjoyed cooking lunch with Zubbu (helping her when she is ill—it might be typhoid) and being able to write down the recipes in koyraboro senni.

I just about died this afternoon when the Chef decided to put the PAM donation intended for the Nutrition program in an old office in the exact opposite corner of the hospital from where we pass out flour and supplements. He claimed it was too much to store in the newly opened, um, EMPTY, store room for Nutrition. We’ll go through this month’s shipment in no time with the culinary demos and increases of malnourished children during “lean season” (May-October, the farthest away from harvest, the hottest months too). Will there be any accountability? ACF assures me yes, there is an ONG who follows up on PAM donations. Why PAM doesn’t do it themselves is beyond me. Thwump! "Here’s your flour that creates dependencies and discourages local production not to mention causing in fighting amongst local leaders and chefs!" We spoke with the Gao PAM rep; he washes his hands, and we only got a little sympathy from the Sage Femme at DRS (Direction Régionale de la Santé). Gah.

I enjoyed a delicious spaghetti and mango--in my underwear--for dinner. I heart hot season! Ha.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.