Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Arrival

It has been akin to Girl Scout Camp here in "Tubaniso" (House of Doves), Mali as we orientate ourselves to the country and service. Language, cross cultural, safety, health, and development theory classes have taken up my days. We had a dance party last evening where I was able to begin to pick up the traditional dances of Mali. We each live in a hut, and I shower out of a bucket. The termites dropped their wings tonight, the toads enjoy watching me do my business, and the longest millipede I have seen is well, too long.
Big news: I found out I will be placed in Timbuktu (Fr. Tombouctou) once training is over. It is on the Niger River, but is serious desert. Thus, I have to learn Songhai (Fr. Sonrai).
Tomorrow I will be installed in my host family village as part of training. We live with the families and take culture and language classes by day. A rep from my village came to the compound today to introduce himself and answer questions, we shared a bowl of rice with peanut sauce...eating with the right hand. No silverware here! Between French and broken Bambara (the most common dialect in Mali) I understand that my host father is very well-fed and likes to laugh. I'm incredibly excited!
Some days it is tough to understand my place here, other days I just can't wait to start my assignment! We trainees are becoming fast friends, but naturally I miss you all incredibly! Pray for my strength tomorrow as I will be entering a village that speaks a language in which I only know one word: yes. No might be better with all the attention I am sure to get.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.