Friday, August 25, 2006

Assignment received

I am visiting my site starting tomorrow, a town outside of Tumbutu (Eng. Timbuktu). I already passed my language qualifications, so I want to brush up my French and maybe learn Fulfude, which is also spoken at my site. So far I only know my work is at a local community health center, my counterpart is a midwife, and I will be targeting nomadic people to come and get babies weighed and vaccinated among other tasks.
I love it here, I am incredibly happy, and learn something everyday. As always, there is a line for the computer.
One story before I go: When I was riding the local transport back to the training compound, the ticket seller hopped up on top since the bus was soooo packed. We went over a large rock and the guy flies off the back of the bus rolling through the dirt. He hops up smiling and gets back on the bus. We were going 30 mph at least!!! That is how things go here, problems are just shrugged off with a laugh or smile. Makes life easy.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.