Friday, August 11, 2006

Homestay life

I am integrating well into my host family. I struggle over words I don't understand, but the love, laughter, kindness, patience and care trump that. The food is more nourishing than I expected, carby, but enough meat and fruit to make it decently balanced. I went to the market this morning mostly to practice Sonrai, but also to restock detergent and find some head scarves. I do everything by hand: washing, laundry, cooking, fanning, sweeping, etc. Aside from the broiling sun and insects, I am appreciating nature more. The moon is a great flashlight, stars my map/compass, and the breeze my air conditioning. There is less waste here as a result. I do feel like I am living on one big farm. The animals all roam freely. I laugh at the animals, especially the goat who manages to get stuck in the fenced enclosure at the schoolyard. The goat screams, not bleats, screams like a little girl, sticking its tongue way out until it frees itself. This happens at least daily, and it never ceases to entertain me. The mommy chicken had babies in the courtyard so they are cute, too. I don't care as much for their dad who likes to cockledoodledoo at 5:30 am. I am up at the crack of dawn anyway with the mosque calls to prayer. Early to rise, early to bed. Our language facilitators ar incredible. I have learned alot, also about gender roles, respect for elders, and seasonal tasks. Really I feel at home and couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.