Friday, August 18, 2006

Homestay life continued

I love my family here. My name is Mariama. Mariama Cisse. On any given day, I greet residents in my village of 3000 people in 5 different languages: Sonrai (Koyracini, my target lang), French, Arabic, Fulfulde/Peuhl, and Bambara. Greeting is the most important thing I do. Well, and learning how to conjugate verbs!
I have hosted tea at my house, one of my favorite cultural traditions. And I am getting good at making the most froth at the top of each small glass by pouring the sweetened mint tea almost a foot above the small shot glass. It'll take more practice, but we drink daily :)
My lang facilitators are extremely helpful. The goats in my village continue to be hilarious. They scream and stick their tongues out at me. The children have taken a liking to me, especially my 3 month old niece, Maimuna. I play soccer once and awhile with the boys in the village, though this tests gender lines. I have also learned a few card games and often play with my 26 yr old brother, Ousmane, and his wife, Mariama (my namesake). My cousin also likes to "kar maryasi" (play cards) now and then. I also shadow the women in my concession, learning how to do laundry by hand and how to cook. It seems as though they never rest but to eat or feed babies. And is this rest? I am getting quite a lot of exposure to Islam because my father is an imam and is often the muezzin at the nearby mosque. I often wake at 4:45 with the first call to prayer. I have learned what is good and bad in Islam with my broken Sonrai, and I know there is much more to discuss and learn. But so far I can see similarities with what is righteous and damning in Christianity as well.
As I expected, I am constantly challenged. I sweat. I itch. I jump at interesting creepy crawlies (but less freaked than I thought). I dodge free range animals. My health is tested, but all is well and for that I am thankful. My patience is really tested. "Malian time" takes getting used to. I am pretty much at the mercy of nature: roads turn to rivers in rain, I am up with the sun and go to bed soon after dark. Though I have come to appreciate the light of the moon and the number of stars in the sky. So much makes me smile. I am so motivated and excited for every new day. I apologize for I know there is so much more I want to share and I am sure this only makes you wonder more. I only wish I could tell more tales. Hugs to all!

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.