Monday, August 20, 2007

Respect Gender Identity!

The volunteers of Gao joke how because we can't seem to consider the dog a girl (she IS named Reagan) and the cat a boy (he had been thought as a female since birth), we need to work on respecting gender identity. I feel the same about how the Malians consider me!

I am reading the old testament...very slowly, but it'll come. And find it interesting how outdated things like "women should not wear male clothing" are. Not so outdated here where the gender lines aren't so blurred...Just the other day I was napping at Zubba's and a friend of hers asks if I were male or female. Sure I was wearing pants and a button down shirt--but really?

This morning I was coming back from the hospital having changed into pants from a skirt to make biking easier, and my new favorite fried-food lady asked why I wasn't in a pagne and musor. I replied, I am still American no matter what. I can't bike in a complete anyway! Kids often greet me with "Bonjour Monsieur!" when I wear pants. I sought solace in my house and slept.

1 comment:

faceyboy said...

Don't worry. My villagers say I farm like a girl. Lord knows I giggle and dance like one. I cross traditional gender roles with gusto.

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.