Friday, August 10, 2007

Persuasion

Three volunteers from the stage before mine came to Ansongo to persuade the doctors to take them out on a Guinea Worm mission.

At first, my teammate and I were a little worried about how we'd meet up with them. Neither of us had any money left other than 2000F to ride the bus to Gao and get to the bank (I have enjoyed truthfully telling Malians I have no money--they laugh when I use the line "I don't even have one CFA to my name!"). But luckily my counterpart was waiting with the three outside our town general store. We dropped stuff at my place and headed over to find the doctors. We tracked down one of the doctor's wives who told us where we could find them (the hospital was deserted after 5pm) and at first I thought we were interrupting a meeting but it turns out it was just poker night. With tears forming in their eyes, the three volunteers argued their way onto the mission team. A car had broken down, so it seemed like the chances of going were slim. but two of these three were leaving the country at the end of the month. So they really really argued their case (in perfect Bambara) and said they would even ride on top of the truck just as long as they could go. The doctors (from the South so this was the first time they had heard someone speaking their language) were amused and acquiesced to the PCVs' request. I was impressed at their negotiating skills!

Dinner was at my counterpart's where she made us greasy semolina pasta. A real treat. ORTM (Malian TV) was showing a special on Keplerian physics. Now, I turn to one of the PCVs and ask them if they are even following it. My French isn't awful, but I was a bit lost. I asked Bebe if she understood. Nope. Made me wonder why they don't just stick to health awareness campaigns and information on citizenship....we star gazed on my roof before going to bed. Sadly, my amoebas kept me busy all night.

Mariam prepared for us one of the best breakfasts I've seen in Mali. A whole chicken in broth with fresh bread, hot sweet milky tea, and corn "stir-stir" with fresh milk. Too bad I was in no mood to eat. ORS for me!

We headed to the hospital to discuss logistics. The Carter Center consultant heard about the PCVs persuading the doctors and was impressed. Evidently a whole mission was planned just for them. Sure, the shiny Ordre de Mission on PC stationary helped too. One of the doctors shuttled us around to get baggage and deliver the paperwork to the Conseil de Cercle. Because my system had rejected everything I put into the last 24 hours, I was a bit light headed, and as I was thinking to myself how nice that chair looked--as people were joking with fonctionnaires about their names--I fell over. Deemed "graceful" with my spotters at hand, I was amused by Malians' reactions. "Mariam, taking a little rest there?" Yes, I thought I'd take a little nap in the dirt entry way of a government building. Ha. And all the doctor we were with said, "You should eat more." Right. Thanks. Mostly people just went about their business. Again, I see how 'we all got problems.'

I took it easy the rest of the day, whereas the PCVs went over behind the river to play on the rocks and boulder where they could. They went out on mission just as black ominous clouds rolled in...glad I gave one of them my rain coat!

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.