Thursday, August 16, 2007

Falafel Flop

So, turns out Malians don't like falafel. Well, my teammate and I enjoyed it!! And actually with the tahini we got in Bamako, the bean-based hommos actually tasted pretty delicious with the fresh cucumbers I found in market!

I am glad I got a chance to cook after this morning. Saw the smallest baby ever: 20 days and still only 1kg390g. The mother claimed she had no breast milk. Really, this was her first child and it seemed like she just didn't know how to breastfeed. She said she carried the baby to term without any illnesses--but regardless I couldn't help thinking how badly this child need neo-natal care at only 3lbs!!

Zubba taught me how to properly recognize good beans. The kilo I bought was infested with bugs and when floated in a calabash, most proved inedible. Now I know.

It is difficult cooking even "American" food, because the Malians still tell you you are doing everything incorrectly. I didn't know how to pound spices. Nor mush up cooked beans into a puree. We couldn't fry the falafel properly, and ants got all over our bread. Plus, they declared the falafel "not tastey."

One redeeming factor: I swear Bebe is the only 2 year-old Malian who knows the word "falafel" and actually asks when we will eat it again. Ya gotta win them over when they're young and impressionable evidently!

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.