Sunday, December 3, 2006

Re-adjusting

I've been in my new home with my new family since a week ago. I have my own space (three spacious and sunny rooms in a mud brick house) but I also do things together with them. Sure glad eating with my hands is second nature now and I don't spill as much as I eat!
I love my new work assignment in the Ansongo hospital. I have spent lots of time with mothers and their new babies to chart growth and encourage vaccination. Few are severe marasmas, but I know those who actually come to the center are already motivated. I need to get out into homes and teach women how to use what they have to nourish their children. I have decided nursing or a public health career is probably what I will pursue after observing rounds and all that needs to be done to convince people the importance of good health.
I found a Christian community that meets in a home, so I went to "church" for the first time, singing hymns in French. I look forward to spending time with the pastor and his family because he is Touareg and his wife is from Timbuktu.
Being on the main road to Niger which is currently undergoing an update to a paved highway attracts all kinds of people, so I have to act as I would in a big city: head covered, avoid walking at night, make friends. I know as I learn the dialect better I will feel more a part of the community.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.