Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Gao now, brown cow

I just met my new family yesterday. I am Ansongo-boro (person of Ansongo) now. I really like Gao, banking and regional capital. Course it also helps there are seasoned volunteers here who have taken us under their wing. Turns out one of them has a little brother named Peter...and Peter was in Beijing with me!! Crazy huh? Ansongo is flat, sandy, and made up of wide, dusty roads unlike the curvy alleys of Goundam. I am off the main road, and from my roof I can see the Niger and its rice-paddy packed flood plain to the west. Today I biked to an animal market and bartered for cows, sheep, goats, donkeys, and camels. I don't think the vendors thought we were serious however. But I am serious. When else will I ever be able to own a camel? Or a cow? The hardest thing about my new home is that I don't speak the dialect. I think a guy asked me home to bathe with him yesterday. Of course I said no, I refuse. In my dialect...who knows if that was clear to his ears.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.