Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Tech Training

Homestay is coming to an end, that is why I find myself in Bamako to search for lye to teach my family how to make soap. It is a lesson I will share with women up north as a small business intitiative in their associations, but my host mom and older sister will benefit from the extra income now. How do I know how to make soap? Our tech training has begun. We already held a baby weighing in Sala. We weighed 145 babies! A majority are healthy, but follow up and ameliorated porridge is necessary for many. I ran the advice table and was so happy I could already give advice on breastfeeding techniques, weaning, diet, and maternal health in Sonrai! It will only continue to improve...
We also toured a CSCOM, the same sort of service I will work at, and learned about clinic management. I particularly was amused by the wisiwisi (newborn) and the goats climbing onto the roof of the ambulence to sun. The "chef de poste" was extremely helpful and actually has family working in Timbuktu. Most importantly, I am safe, happy, and really starting to feel like I am helping people! I treated 3 mosquito nets alone today and explained the importance of the protection. Whee!
yerkoy ma fabba! May God help you!

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.