Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Back in homestay

Swearing in as an official volunteer is scheduled for Sept. 29!
Meanwhile I'm learning more with my host family, now actually applying language skills. I am doing health surveys and a few demonstrations in Sonrai. Amazing how even after living here a month, I still learn more about my family and the village. My host father has another wife in Bamako. The village primarily exists for the sand-extraction industry along the Niger (3 km away). Sonrai people come to settle in search of money in the richer south. Peulhs seem to be in every village in Mali from here to Kayes (West) to Sikasso (deep South) to the North. My host brother will be moving to Sikasso to be a driver as soon as I leave. I worry about his health, for the sub-set of drivers in the population have a much higher rate of contracting HIV/AIDS (though still low in terms of sub-saharan Africa). I know the PC prepared the homestay families, but I am encouraged as to how open they are.
Yesterday I had an interesting conversation about terrorism. My host-brother saved clippings from the NY Times his aunt state-side had sent him in 2001. He believes the people that attacked America are evil. I learned the Sonrai word for hell. He is sad some Americans view all Muslims as the same. He loves peace. We laugh at my impression of the little girl in pigtails who yells "J'aime la paix" during a public service announcement on TV (powered by a car battery).

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.