Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Ready!

Asalaamaleykoum! Peace be with you! I am a few days away from being sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer. I had to say goodbye to my host family on Sunday, which was pretty rough since they were so great to me. I will definitely be visiting them in January when I can travel (no traveling for the first 3 months at site). At least knowing I became so well adjusted in 2 months it won't take me long to adjust to the north, especially with my language skills. My Sonrai is far from perfect, but I am pretty confident with it. The chef de poste at a CSCOM even commented at my proficiency when I gave an animation (presentation) there on water treatment...so, I am working on my French and even started the Arabic alphabet. The tutor we met up north during site visit will continue my training.
Once installed, I am free to do projects in surrounding villages/encampements, and the schools. My first three months at site is mostly development research and needs assessment. Lots of surveys and observation! I am getting incredibly excited to use the technical and lang skills I have learned. I have already taught about water treatment, and made some ameliorated porridge. The soap-making didn't exactly turn out (I think it was the recipe), but I was encouraged how my host family members didn't give up on it! They just kept stirring and stirring! Even as it was practice, it was incredibly rewarding. I feel like my work will only continue to improve! Inc'hallah! It is in God's hands!
Lots of love to everyone! Bear with me, I know I have neglected letter writing, but I promise now I am out of training I will have more time on my hands!Gomni ma ka! Peace!

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.