Saturday, May 10, 2008

Rabble rousing

Because of my work at the hospital I wasn't able to get tenda completion materials--the grass and reed vendors sell out early. But I chased down the boat of hoobu vendors and got one for 300F. My water jar had cracked and with hot season you can't go without cool water. 

The basketball girls have stopped playing. I assume it is the heat. 

I don't blame them. Friday, I slept and relaxed at home all day. When I did stop by the hospital to greet later in the afternoon, people were asking where I had been all day. I said, "Sometimes people don't know where Mariama is and that's a good thing!" 

With dinner, we ate hippo. I guess the guy who has hippo skulls on either side of his concession's entrance shot another menacing hippo last week and sent Bébé her bagga. The meat is very very chewy. They had to pound it so I could eat it. 

The school children have gone insane. Basically, rioting because the teachers aren't giving homework or compositions or exams. On Thursday the high school students marched into town and harassed the elementary school teachers and students. I have never seen so many kids hike a 6ft wall so quickly (the hospital and school share a wall). All the students, wielding rocks and torches marched to the commandant's place up on the hill. But the gendarmes did nothing. Friday evening, Bazi kids were marching and chanting through the streets. It is interesting to see the students demanding better treatment--it is especially serious for high school students who count on passing the BAC to get into the university in Bamako or vocational school. Even 9th graders who will go straight into trades still need their DEF to get into nursing school or accounting school. But will this rabble-rousing come to anything? 

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.