Thursday, January 17, 2008

The joys of cold season...

...I haven't showered in 3 days. I use a blanket at night. I don't need to carry around a gallon of water. Oh, and I don't get sick of smelling myself sweat.

I ate way too much today. That's a perk of cold season as well, having an appetite. I had tea and bread for breakfast followed by a snack of little millet cakes mid-morning. Porridge before lunch of rice and sauce and then before dinner fish with some fried dough. Still before dinner, Bébé gave me bread with mayo and jelly on it (for those of you who knew me as having a taste aversion to all that is white and comes in dollups like mayonaise, cottage cheese, sour cream, plain yogurt, my tastes have changed). Then there was more pre-dinner of whole milk (mmm...) and finally dinner of rice and beans and then they offered rice and milk! I excliamed, using a new emphatic marker I learned, "Ay gunda to PET!" I'm very very full!

Today I enjoyed watching basketball practice. The girls are really improving. Eight or so are skilled enough to dribble, shoot and score. Impressive after going from no sport/athleticism to this in two months. The coach of the Circle-level youth team (men) asked a few practices ago why I'm not including boys in the program. I told him it is all a step at a time; besides, it's not easy for girls to get any sport training like this. Today he said under his breath, as a girl fumbled with the ball and it went off rolling into the sand, "This is such a waste of time." I heard him, and said bluntly, "Is encouraging young women a waste of time? Hmm?" I think he got my point.

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.