Saturday, January 26, 2008

Conversion

"Eh, Mariama, ni tuubi!" Yelled a shop owner as I was leaving town on the back of a donkey cart. Some others shouted to me greetings, using "koyraboro wayo" "Songhoy woman" instead of the typical anasara. I asked later what tuubi means. In the religious sense, but also clearly cultural, it means "to convert."

The donkey-cart ride, though a cultural experience was less than enjoyable. The poor beast of burden was slow and his master was beating him mercilessly. Blood started to trickle down his backside, and on the next "thwap!" blood spurted back onto me, sprinkling my clothes and glasses with little red spots. Ew.

During our training, a few of the broussey nurses were asking me to convert in order to become a good Muslim wife. I asked why they couldn't become Christian. More blasphemous evidently for a man to leave his faith than for a woman to leave hers.

I gave the "message" on Sunday on Hebrews 4:12-16 and Mark 10:17-31. The word of God as sword judges, severing soul from spirit, flesh from sinew--or in plain terms, cutting away our vices that keep us from a God-centered life. Even good things like a job or serving others are dangerous if they are all-consuming. So it isn't only giving up your riches and following Christ but living a balanced life as an example to those around you. Sanago translated and clarified my French into Bamanakan for the rest of the worshippers. I don't think I will convert anyone over here; or for that matter if I really want to--I simply lead my life as well as I can providing a testimony through my actions. So maybe to me faith without works is nothing?

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.