Friday, March 14, 2008

Heffalumps and woozles, oh my!


It began with the idea to go elephant stalking.
It ended with collapsing exhausted on a mat after counting our blessings descending from a truck piled high with millet sacks in the dead of night, shining our flashlights on the bumper to see what was left of the two donkeys we hit with a thunk-squelch, thunk-squelch once we had taken a 4x4 out in the moon-scape of a desert near Gossi, Mali (fearing for our lives thinking the tire blowout was a rifle rapport) to only crunch along sun-baked earth, crouch in sewer-lid sized tracks and ford knee-deep across muddy streams to eventually get vistas of a lifetime of a threatened but once majestic West Africa beastie.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mariama, you're not a Maiga or a Toure!? I was a PCV in a small village, Goura, to the southeast of Gao from 03-04. I had some great experiences there. I'm amazed that you were placed all the way in Ansongo! I recall scoping out Hausa-Fulani as a possible PCV placement, but never ventured so far away from Gao aside from a Niger vacation. Keep up the great posts. Also, I noticed a mention of Wijila in an earlier post. I would be grateful beyond all words if you could provide a recipe for that. Back when there were stage houses, we used to pay our guard's wife to whip us up a batch. It's magical stuff. -Tom

WeirdoWardo said...

I am so jealous! I wish I had been there fording the stream with you to catch a glimpse of such a magnificent beast. Please continue to enjoy these wonderful adventures but would love to see more of them by receiving some pictures to post on our lonely website. I am so proud of you and miss you very much. all my love, Dad

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.