Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Taking my time

After getting back in-country the week of July 4th, doing medical tests because I am at my mid-service (AHH!), partying with staff and PCVs American-style (with real ketchup for the burgers and everything!), I am finally on a bus back to site. I guess it took so long to re-adjust cause getting some parental lovin' and perks of more-developed country life made it all the harder to come to Mali.

I saw my Nigerian friend on the bus as well as the school director, who didn't greet me. I am so Malian now, haha, demanding greetings from people I know! I gave the Bambi stickers away to two kids who gave up their seat for me (who therefore spent the two hours on top of coolers full of ice). I don't think they knew what to do with the stickers despite my demo. And the mother complained of headaches and fever and wanted "kinin" (how they pronounce "quinine" and basically the word for every medicine). At least they are predictable...

I got off the bus and immediately the bus guys and other townsfolk said this friend or that friend liked me, if I am single, where my husband was...oi! I literally screamed "I don't like anybody!" And stormed off. Some welcome home...I swallowed my pride and still bought the bus manager tea and sugar--guaranteeing a seat on any bus ride back to Gao.

The kids came running to help me with my bags. The family was double-greeting, I think they thought I wasn't coming back! I especially like how Nangey, one of the elder women, grabbed my hand and held my shoulder and really asked how my parents were. So often the greetings sound so insincere because they repetitive and said in a drone...but this time, she really meant it. All the worries I had about being back melted away. They really do care about me here.

But Mali really wanted to remind me I was back: as I fell asleep on the roof a blister beetle exploded under me. I washed the acid off and took antihistamine to cover my bases, but my God, it stung!

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.