Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Market strike

I went to Gao to get some Gao-borey lovin', but the mood was soured by the fact that the market had been closed for days. The Mayor threatened to raise tariffs on stalls, doubling them to approximately $0.40. The police were actually hitting people in market! So I still have yet to get my 10-month bracelet though the day passed May 27th. Ah well, if anything service has taught me it is patience.

On my way back to site I took the bus (my way to Gao was in the nice and air-conditioned hospital vehicle), and had to pay 2000CFA for myself and 2000CFA for my bike! Guidronne-robbery! Plus, I didn't even get a seat. Sarah and her homologue were headed to a village 25km south of Gao on the road to Ansongo and wisely reserved tickets. I however was left to sit on an ice-box in the middle of the aisle. At least it was a pooly insulated ice-box and I was kept chilled.

The kids of La Famille Cisse had an impromptu dance party in our courtyard. Addey and Abba have some moves! And Abba was trying to teach the other kids how to roll their stomachs. I was amused and slightly disturbed by the "grippa" dance which is a song about the bird flu calling out to dancers to dance like dead and or dying chickens. And you thought our chicken dance was annoying?

No comments:

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.