Sunday, April 8, 2007

Happy Easter! Joyeux Paques!

I was so excited when the pastor of the large non-denominational church in Bamako shouted "Il est vivant!" And we responded "Il est vivant à jamais!" He is risen! He is risen indeed!

The message was appropriate for the Malians, many of whom have recently converted: there is a road with two routes, where two men are, one living and one dead. We are to choose the one we know to be living! The pastor (a Canadian who has been in Mali for 40 years) also discussed certain paradoxes of Easter such as Jesus dying to save the world but not able to save himself; and how Jesus was so beaten and abused heading to Golgatha, Simon had to carry his cross; yet, in the Gospel Jesus calls us to take up our cross and follow him (I believe the pastor was trying to make the point that when you are really suffering you may not be able to carry your cross).

The music was jubilant, sung in three languages (French, Bambara, and English). I of course missed the classics, but after all, I am not here to live the life to which I am accustomed.

I hope all my dear friends and family had a blessed Easter! Peace!

1 comment:

sue hanson said...

Joanna
Its funny you mentioned that about the songs, Sarah asked her choir director if they did "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" on Easter if not she would have to attend elsewhere on that day(they did).
I love reading your stories, you're so positive and are focused on the job you have to do for the short while you are there. Your movie story was funny. How in the world could you keep them all straight watching so many in such a short period?
I started work at Fairview southdale recovery room this last week. My stress level is a bit off the charts right now.
Stay Healthy,
Sue Hanson

Disclaimer

All tales, opinions, and attitudes are those Joanna has experienced and subsequently composed. This Blog does not reflect the ideas or policies of the U.S. Peace Corps, its employees and volunteers, at large.